In one week, we don’t know where we’ll be living. In one month, our baby will be born…
As many of you know, my wife and I have recently felt a calling to move out into the country to live off the land and teach/demonstrate permaculture. We found a perfect house in a tiny town called Carlton, GA. The house is Tori’s absolute dream, and the yard is mine. After much prayer, seeking, and negotiating with the owner we agreed upon lease terms. We would rent for two years, a portion of our rent would go towards a down payment on the home, and we would be given first right of refusal. The home would be off the market during that time.
This was all agreed upon last week. Now we were only waiting on the owner to sign the lease and for our applications to be processed by the property manager.
This morning, we were expecting a call from the property manager letting us know that our applications were approved and to tell us how to pick up the keys, etc. We had already coordinated with the owner to move our stuff into the house this Friday.
We did get a call this morning from the property manager, but it was to inform us that an inspector was coming on Friday because an offer had been made on the home, and the owner was planning to sell instead. Apparently he had been entertaining an offer to buy for weeks, but had led us to believe that the place was ours to live in if we wanted. Business-wise, a smart move. But not a great way to treat my 9 month pregnant wife. Come on, man! At least tell us about the other offer so we aren’t left high and dry 4 days before we were going to move in!
Besides feeling betrayed, we are really overwhelmed by this news. We have been displaced for the past month, staying at a friend’s house while they were in Africa. But, this coming Monday, they will be back, and we need to have a place to go next. Now we have no idea where that will be.
We know we have friends who will take us in temporarily, but Tori’s nesting instinct is so high now, as she is 9 months pregnant, that I really think I need to find us a home for her to settle into. And, we are scheduled for a water birth “at home” (location TBD).
What do I do? It’s possible that this offer on our dream home will fall through, but that could take weeks to find out, and we have 6 days before we are displaced again.
I hesitate putting this out online because I really don’t need to complain to the entire internet, but truth be told this is a desperate attempt. For what? I don’t know. Prayer? Yes. $132,000 so we can just buy the house instead of having to rent from this guy that we aren’t too fond of at the moment? Ok compassionate millionaire, if you’re really offering. Really it’s just a desperate attempt to find an unknown solution to our problem.
Every step of this process has been hard. Adjusting my business, working till 9 pm night to save up enough money for the transition, getting ourselves ready for the big change, finding a midwife that will come 2 hours away to deliver for us,. But it all felt worth it. Now, I don’t know what it was all for.